Sunday, November 8, 2015

Displaying Miniatures

As I worked with miniatures, I experimented with various ways of displaying them--a grandmother mermaid and child, for example, were placed in a large glass fishbowl. [It didn't sell at a show. It was stolen out of our car as we stopped to eat on the way home.]



The room boxes were the kind of presentation I did with my scene designs.



Small display boxes became a great venue for furniture and special figures



Godey and Belter, 1864 (1982)


The Godey figure I sculpted and Ferbie dressed it. The table was made by Jeff Steele..
The Art of Wicker (1982)

The Mother in Wicker was done by dollmaker Mary Penet and the baby was from Cecil Boyd.
 The wicker was by Carolyn Lockwood.
 
Large boxes with two plexiglass sides easily served for full vignettes.


1:12 Scale Room: "I'll Be Home For Christmas" (1995)

      The fireplace was a souvenir by Braxton Payne from a NAME Houseparty. The figure, modeled by Marsha Backstrom, painted by me and then dressed and wigged by Ferbie. The three cats are mine. There are two tiny mice under the chair.  One of the good things about the box room is that it can be lit easily. The "fire" in the fireplace is actually a light under silicone glue which resists the heat of the bulb.




Recently when the chain Hobby Lobby brought in large candle vitrines, I found they worked well.


Here a doll dressed by Ferbie stands with a 1:12 scale Christmas feather tree by Karen Marland. The 'quilt' is an embossed card. I made the cat.





I also discovered display vitrines for footballs which offer a unique environment for the miniatures.


A 3D printed Miss Marple and lawyer [both found on Shakeways] are shown on a shelf in a bookcase with a small light mounted above it. (2014)


The 1:12 scale Dickens Desk and Chair suggested the room. The 3D printed figure checking his cellphone has a tiny silver earring. The statue of Mars is also 3D printed. (2015)


These two 1:12 scale Christmas vignettes [both gifts Christmas 2014] were housed in the football display vitrines.



A Christmas Gothic window unit designed for a modern creche setting also makes an interesting display. Among the 3D printed figures is the statue at left, the two Egyptian cats, and the two standing cats, the Sphinx statue, and the young man at back. My printing company discouraged me from having the cats printed because they felt they would be too fragile. The turned out perfectly. The cat on the chair was one I sculpted and was cast epoxy. The Victorian Hall cabinet includes a Christmas pastry of snowflakes, tree and Eiffel tower. A basket of glittered pine cones is in front.


1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Do you have any Marcia Backstrom dolls for sale? I love the one by the Christmas tree.  Will offer a good price.  I am also looking for a doll from Philip Beglan
    Many thanks
    Andy andyevans549@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete