Thursday, November 5, 2015

Five More 1:12 Scale Miniature Rooms


Vigil (1979)


In the Night Nursery of Peter Pan, Mother Darling stands at the window waiting for the children to return. Nana watches as Father Darling sleeps in Nana's doghouse. The Edwardian designs include wise says and hand-painted bedframes and wallpaper.

The Muse of Discord, 1932 (1980)


This Art Deco apartment has someone arriving home in the elevator, but the cocktail glass, fur and shoe suggest something will go awry when he enters. I sold the room in Hawaii to a lovely woman who said it looked exactly like the home she was raised in.

Ruby's Christmas, 1979 (1980)




When I learned that the theme for the Washington DC National Houseparty was going to be Christmas, I decided I wanted to do a room centered around that idea. My mother had received a Christmas card from a woman she had roomed with at one time and the woman talked about how she would be alone for Christmas. "My hair has turned all white." I envisoned her as Ruby, alone with her cats in her small apartment with a tree and one gift, watching a Muppets Christmas special. The room was well-received (and immediately sold) when I exhibited it and several suggested that I needed to make the cats to sell.



The Wages of Sin, 1906 (1981)


This room, depicting a bordello in 1904 New Orleans, caused quite a stir when I wrote about it. I told that Marguerite, the prostitute who is checking out her 'wages of sin' in the mirror, believed herself, like many of her Storyville sisters to be a good Catholic. No one seemed to be upset that she was a prostitute, but one woman really objected that she was Catholic. She tried to get others to cancel their subscription to the magazine.



The Night Companions (1984)


The baglady in the doorway was inspired by a woman who lived on 42nd Street while my wife and I stayed in New York. There are two cats, one lying beside her and one looking at both from the window. The room was in The Carole & Barry Kaye Museum of Miniatures in Los Angeles for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment