Thursday, November 5, 2015

Five Miniature Rooms in 1:12 Scale

Here I am in a photograph for a newspaper from 1976 with two of my 1:12 scale rooms

By 1976 I began turning from my miniature set designs and the dollhouse to individual miniature room boxes. I also concentrated on 1:12 scale.

The Studio-1900 (1976)



My first room was based on the work of Swedish Carl Larsson and shows his Studio and model. I sold it to a shop in Colorado.

April 1912 (1976)

Selling the Larsson room inspired me to continue and I made April 1912 in 1976.

Geary Street, 1976 (1977)


As I've said, the attendees at a NAME National Houseparty get souvenirs. Here, the two 'stained glass' windows by Lew & Pat Kummerow were the special souvenir from the San Francisco National Houseparty. These became the inspiration for the SF pizzaria commorating our trip. The Victorian chairs were based on one I had. Included on the chair is a copy of the 7 Percent Solution which I read on the trip. The figure is another Boyd figure I painted.

Malkata, 1453 BC (1977)


Inspired by the exhibit of the Treasures of Tutankamun in Chicago, this Egyptian bedroom took extensive research and time. It shows the imagined bedroom of young pharaoh Tutankhamun. The entire room is hand-painted from floor to ceiling. Each band of color took about six hours of painting.

Soldier's Home, 1943 (1978)




I was a war baby, born in 1943, so room forced me to do research into the War Period decor. The rugs here are fine petitpoint which I taught myself to do. The chairs were based on ones I own.


The suited figure I only found recently. He is actually a 1:12 scale 3D printed figure I found on Shapeways (sorry, no longer available) from a designer in France. I thought he brought a lot of life to room. In the kitchen, not seen here, is a Hoosier cabinet and older woman making a pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment